ADULTS CAN HELP PREVENT YOUTH TOBACCO USE
There are a lot of facts out there talking about how our kids are using e-cigarettes. Though these rates are alarming, adults can help youth make healthy decisions when it comes to e-cigarettes. In fact, youth whose parents know where they are and who they are with are 49% less likely to use e-cigarettes1.
- Before you have a chat, get the facts.
- When you're ready to talk, make sure you start by listening.
- Use teachable moments.
- Set clear rules.
- Focus of positive messages.
- Remind them what can happen for breaking the rules.
- Help them understand the facts.
- Remind them they're role models to other youth.
- Building relationship skills.
- Talking about risky behaviors.
- Sharing struggles.
- Overcoming barriers to connection.
What if I find out they are vaping? My Life My Quit empowers youth to quit how they want, when they want. The program meets youth where they are at. If their goal is to smoke or vape less? No problem! If they want to quit tobacco completely? Great! Parents and adults can find tips on how they can support their youth's efforts.